Here are seven things every home school parent should do.
Home-schooling is becoming more and more common in today’s world, so I did some research (both online and with experienced parents) and I’ve compiled a list of tips to share if you’re planning on home-schooling this year:
1. Keep to a schedule. Stick to as normal of a school day as possible. Get up, eat breakfast, get ready, and go to a designated area of your home as a classroom, where they know it’s going to be school and school only.
2. Be patient. Kids don’t learn at the same speed as you or me. You want them to feel comfortable, so let them guide you on how fast to go to understand the activity.
3. Dedicated creative and exercise time. Whether it’s watercolors, sidewalk chalk, or a game of tag, it’s a good idea to set aside time for creative expression and physical activity.
4. Stay connected with your children’s teachers.
5. Limit your kids’ screen time outside of school.
6. Remember to reward your children for a job well done.
7. Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done, too.
If for some reason these tips don’t make everything perfect, I recommend a nice glass of pinot, typically in the late afternoon. You’re likely doing a better job than you think, so don’t be too hard on yourself.
If you have any other questions for me about home-schooling or real estate, don’t hesitate to reach out via phone or email. I look forward to hearing from you.