Looking to sell your home, or just want to freshen up a room? Redesign with the right paint color!
(This soft beige color is ideal for the relaxing master bedroom.)
Before you commit to a paint color, consider the space and do a test patch. Light may alter paint color; even with the same paint, your north-facing living room may look considerably different than your south-facing bathroom.
- If you’re trying to sell, don’t go too bright! Bold colors may distract potential buyers. Opt for neutral background colors that don’t steal the show.
- Don’t have an exact paint color in mind? Zillow recommends you check out mistints which could save hundreds of dollars. These are paints which have been specifically mixed for a customer but never picked up or returned. Try high end paint stores for mistints. You’ll not only get great quality but amazing discounts. Score!
- Blue, green and cooler palettes are good for bedrooms. They create a soft, calming effect. Red, orange and yellow on the other hand are “gathering” colors. Puji Sherer, President of Colorhouse Paint says, “They’re good to put in spaces like dining rooms or kitchens, where people sit around the table and share stories, or cook and eat together” (www.curbed.com).
(This “gathering” color is perfect for the dining room).
- It’s a good idea to understand paint jargon. Barbara Jacobs of HGTV shares helpful terminology to describe color.
“Hue is what we call a color. Red is the hue; blue is the hue. The value of the hue is how light or dark it is. Saturation refers to how dominate the hue is. As we go from red to pink, the red hue becomes less dominant. Intensity is the brilliance of the color. The pure colors such as red are more intense then the combined colors such as yellow-green. A stronger intense color usually has a more dominate hue” (www.hgtv.com).
- If you have minimal cash, but still want to change things up, check out Apartment Therapy’s article titled “The One Gallon Challenge: Ten Things You Can Do With Just One Can Of Paint“. For $30 or less, you can transform a space!
Any great paint tips to add? Let us know! And if you or anyone you know is looking to buy or sell, give us a call at
(626) 204-3360 today.
– The Parsons Team