As a Southern California resident, we are not strangers to wild fires. According to Cal Fire, there are several things we can do to help our families and loved ones stay safe. One of the most important thing we can do is create a fire action plan. An action plan should include things such as; an emergency meeting place, several different escape routes for evacuation from the premise and from the evacuation area. Designate a friend or family member, that lives out of the area, as a single source of communication. In addition to having an action plan, preparatory steps should be done in advance. Several of these things can be done as a family.
- Have a fire extinguisher and know how to use it
- Know where the main controls to the house are: gas, electric and water
- Put together an emergency kit for the house and the car, https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit# has several great ideas of what should be in a kit
- Insure you have prescriptions, credit cards and pictures packed
There is not a lot that can be done, to predict such an event. However, along with keeping our family safe, one can prepare the home to prevent additional damage.
- Remove brush and leaves
- When replacing your roof, opt for fire-resistant roofing
- Keep valuables in a fireproof safe so you can easily grab them or keep them safe in the fire
Most important of all, if you are told to evacuate, follow your carefully rehearsed plan and leave.